Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I work in a reception area at Gatwick airport my working

Customer Question

I work in a reception area at Gatwick airport my working conditions are bad today the temperature I had to Work in was 7 degrees. I have tried to speak to my manager just to be told there's nothing they can do?..How do I deal with this?
JA: Of course. The best way to reach them is by emailing***@******.*** Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I don't have an hr department and also told I'm not allowed to call company direct
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I don't belong to a union and I'm an employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is this going to cost me money?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Do they provide any extra clothing to keep you warm?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
12months

Thank you. The Approved Code of Practice suggests the minimum temperature in a workplace should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius. If the work involves rigorous physical effort, the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures are not absolute legal requirements; the employer has a duty to determine what reasonable comfort will be in the particular circumstances.

I would say that unless you are doing very strenuous activities which may keep you warm, or this is clearly an outdoor job, then 7 degrees for an indoor environment is to low. Whilst this can be allowed, the employer should be providing you with personal protective equipment, such as warm clothes, to ensure that you are not exposed to any health risks by working in these conditions.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry but haven't recieved an answer only a for me to pay£44.00..Can you help me or not?

answer is already above?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
just got your reply seems like I just have to put up with it .I bet you and them wouldn't work in those conditions

you certainly don't have to put up with it - this is a health and safety breach and they should be held accountable. You need to raise it higher with management and consider raising a formal grievance

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not allowed to go to higher management don't even know who they are.It feels so wrong and it's making me I'll I just need help someone to back me. I don't want to loose my job

You have to star off with the grievance procedure, that is how things get escalated. If needed, you can also report them to the Health and Safety Executive

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I refuse to work because it's so cold can I be sacked?

Nothing stops them from doing it but it will be an automatically unfair dismissal which you can challenge legally if needed

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know what to do. I feel like I have no options but to put up with it.Its awful but I can't lose my job

I hope I have explained your rights and options – how you take it further now is up to you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You didn't help me at all

You mean you didn't get the answer you were hoping for? Remember I don't make the laws....