Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

My employer has gone through peninsula hr and has advised me

My employer has gone through peninsula hr and has advised me to go on sick from work as I am high risk having asthma during the corona virus outbreak
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: My employer has had a telephone conversation with me and email. I an not sick and not showing any signs of illness
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee and no I do not belong to a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The self containment time would be 12 weeks, I have a child, home with mortgage etc and could not live on ssp

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What is your specific question in relation to this please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok

Thanks. Please provide the information I have just requested

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If I stay off work for the foreseeable future as I'm high risk, would I be entitled to the 80% pay as the government claimed in the press conference on Friday

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst you may be in the vulnerable group that does not mean you MUST self isolate and not come to work. It means you should and it is probably best if you consider it for your own safety, but the end decision is yours. If the employer is forcing you to go off and they are making that decision, they should still pay you as normal and not put you on SSP. That is unless there is a clause in your contract allowing them to lay you off without pay or to change your contractual hours.

As to the 80% promises, no one quite knows yet as the full details have not been released but in general it is likely to be down to the employer to decide who gets it and it is there to help them avoid redundancies or lay offs, but not guarantee them. You just have to wait and see what further details about eligibility are released over time.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes thank you, I guess I'll just have to carry on and wait to see what happens. I have checked what else I could be entitled to but it's not much at all. But things are changing on the 6th of April.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.

All the best