Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

If furlough is offered in place of an at risk of redundancy

If furlough is offered in place of an at risk of redundancy notice, could the risk of redundancy be placed back on the agenda after the end of furlough or call back date?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: A manager and owner of the company
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Small business all employees, no unionised employees
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Got a notification of risk of redundancy and invite to consultation meeting on Friday afternoon,before UK Govt announced support for furlough. Now advised that furlough at 80% of wage if accepted would supersede friday's notification

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Im Esther - Fire away Ben

How long have the employees worked for the business?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
In my case 5 years, others more than me 6 and 7 years. Just three of us

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. It is certainly possible for the employer to look into redundancies at the end of the furlough period. The Gov’t scheme is there to help employers retain employees in the short term, whilst they are affected by the current crisis. However, it is not a guarantee that all jobs covered by the scheme will be saved in the long-run and in the end the employer may still face the need to cut down its workforce, which would result in redundancies. The good news is that you still have a job and some income for the time being but do not assume that this guarantees your role once the furlough is over.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Very helpful, sorry for delay in acknowledging.

All the best