Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have been off sick from my company(not coronavirus)for 5

I have been off sick from my company(not coronavirus)for 5 month with a long term health condition. They phoned me on Friday 20th March, to say they are making me redundant , emailed a letter to say my employment is terminated on the same day, no warning I am totally devastated. They say the virus is hitting there finances hard and need to get rid of me. I just do not know what to do, can you help? Thank you
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have been in contact with HR and she just tells me I can appeal the decision, which will obviously still result in redundancy
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am full time employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cannot think of anything at the moment

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked for this employer and what type of contract do you have?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
2 and half years full time permanent contract

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry but I cannot afford the telephone call

Many thanks for your patience. If an employee has been continuously employed with their employer for at least 2 years they will be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that to fairly dismiss them the employer has to show that there was a potentially fair reason for dismissal and that a fair dismissal procedure was followed.

According to the Employment Rights Act 1996 there are five separate reasons that an employer could rely on to show that a dismissal was fair: conduct, capability, redundancy, illegality or some other substantial reason (SOSR). The employer will not only need to show that the dismissal was for one of those reasons, but also justify that it was appropriate and reasonable to use in the circumstances. In addition, they need to ensure that a fair dismissal procedure was followed and that the outcome was one that a reasonable employer would have come to in the circumstances.

In a redundancy situation it would have required them to consult with you, offer you any suitable alternative employment and go through a formal redundancy procedure. It is clear they have failed to fairly dismiss you at all so you can certainly consider an unfair dismissal claim against them now, which you must initiate within 3 months.

Before a person can make a claim in the employment tribunal, they would be required to participate in mandatory early conciliation through the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

The purpose of this process is to allow ACAS to mediate between the claimant and respondent to agree on an out of court settlement in order to avoid the need for legal action in tribunal. The respondent does not have to engage in these discussions, or if they do and the talks are unsuccessful, the claimant will be issued with a certificate allowing them to make a claim.

However, if a settlement is reached, the claimant would agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. Other terms can also be agreed as part of the settlement, such as an agreed reference.

To initiate the conciliation procedure ACAS can be contacted online by filling in the following form (https://ec.acas.org.uk/Submission/SingleClaimantPage), or by phone on 0300 123 1100.

If the conciliation process was not successful and you then wanted to make a formal claim in tribunal, you can do so here:

https://www.employmenttribunals.service.gov.uk/apply

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry , Yes , thanks

All the best