ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

My ex wife is pressing charges against me as I went to her

Customer Question

My ex wife is pressing charges against me as I went to her work and told them that she was having an affair with someone she manages and that she gave me confidential information. She is a child protection social worker in a management position. She is pressing charges against me for harassment one of the charges includes me having the conversation with her bosses. She has been told by her work that if she doesn’t go through with the charges it will have serious repercussions for her at work, ie disciplinary or even a job loss. It is her that’s pressing the charges. Can they take any action against her is what I want to know as to me it seems like blackmail. My opinion is that she doesn’t want to lose face at work. I’d just like to have this in writing please. Thanks
JA: Have you discussed harassment at work with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Read above
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: My ex wife is pressing charges against me as I went to her work and told them that she was having an affair with someone she manages and that she gave me confidential information. She is a child protection social worker in a management position. She is pressing charges against me for harassment one of the charges includes me having the conversation with her bosses. She has been told by her work that if she doesn’t go through with the charges it will have serious repercussions for her at work, ie disciplinary or even a job loss. It is her that’s pressing the charges. Can they take any action against her is what I want to know as to me it seems like blackmail. My opinion is that she doesn’t want to lose face at work. I’d just like to have this in writing please. Thanks
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She also believes that or has been told that she will be investigated by her work over our child’s wellbeing even though the courts CAFCASS officer has since investigated us both and had no findings and granted us our own access times with a permanent court order in place. I believe that the investigation is over and they will not be able to or want to investigate it futher as it’s been dealt with by the courts. Please can I have an answer for this too.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 4 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm directly you telling them what the confidential information was about? (Do not write what it was here).
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes I told them directly but they said I didn’t have enough information on them but said there was some internal information that I should not know
Hi, thank you for your message. I will need to opt out for someone else to look into this matter.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

Hi! this is Readylaw and I will be helping you today. It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience! Please note that during the course of our online conversation, you may be asked if you would like to request a phone call with me. JustAnswer automatically generates these phone call requests without input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests. I can easily help you without a phone call. But if you prefer a phone call, that is also an option.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

Is there any truth to your allegation and have you and the ex wife reconciled?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
There is 100 percent truth in the allegations and we don’t talk as she has an injunction on me
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

Thanks for the additional information.

I am not sure whether I am in agreement with you that this is blackmail. Based on her job function she is prohibited from entering into relationships with clients/persons she manages. It is likely therefore, that her employer is wanting some form of investigation conducted prior to them deciding whether there is any truth to your allegation. If it is this is not pursued by her through a police investigation it is likely that the company will conduct their own internal investigations.

I am not sure why it is her employers will be getting CAFCASS involved. nothing you have said suggests to me the need for their involvement. That being said however, the fact of the court's order does not prohibit further investigations taking place if there is reason for them to believe that the child's well being may be in question. This is particularly the case if new information has come to light.

These may not be the answers you were looking for but I ma mandated to tell you the truth as I see it. This is necessary so that you may be able to make informed decisions going forward.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Her employer did not get CAFCASS involved she took back the main custody of my son so they became involved because I fought for him. To sum this up are you saying her affair might be investigated if she doesn’t go forward with a police complaint?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

It is my view that your allegation would be investigated even if she were not to go ahead with the police complaint.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But they can’t punish her or sack her?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

You are most welcome

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

i cannot say what sanctions may be imposed. This depends largely on her contract of employment

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don’t mean for my allegation, I mean for withdrawing her statement and not pressing charges against me? They have no grounds to punish her for that do they?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

No they would not be able to punish her for that.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks for your time, you have answered my question.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Will this conversation be available to me via email?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 4 days ago.

You are welcome. I am not sure if it is. I suggest contacting customer service and asking for them to explain that to you. I only use the platform as an expert to answer questions.

All the best, happy I was able to help!