INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I'm a nanny for two kids, a girl 20 months old and a boy 4

Customer Question

Hi there!
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I'm a nanny for two kids, a girl 20 months old and a boy 4 years old. Mommy boss is a doctor, daddy boss is not. Yesterday after PM's speech, I told them I still could go, if I got a lift from my husband (who works within Jobcentres' maintenance, so still working) in the morning, and he would pick me up at my normal finishing
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: time, at 19h. Altogether, I would be working 1h short per day, 5h per week. She told me fine, I could pay these 5 hours working another afternoon per week. No, Im a nanny, I work with a family.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Im employed by a family to take care of their kids, 50h/week
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know if, beeing in a lock down, and with all the measures that the government took till now, do I have to bank hours or have my salary cut in those 5h/wk (those were the options she gave me) ? They told me that,been in a lock down I should go, although just one of them is a medic, and the other one is already working from home
Expert:  INC Law replied 4 days ago.

Thank you for your query. Have you signed an agreement? If so, can you provide a copy?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Yes, I do have a contract. I'm at work place now, my contract is in my house
Expert:  INC Law replied 4 days ago.

Kindly provide a copy at your convenience

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Here it is.
Expert:  INC Law replied 4 days ago.

Under Clause 5.1 the employer is able to change your hours by providing you Notice. Further, they are able to terminate your position by giving you 4 weeks notice.

I am sorry if this was not the answer you were expecting.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I know how to read. My question was, if they could do it with no notice at all, and within the new laws and everything that's happening with COVID19.
Expert:  INC Law replied 4 days ago.

No, they would need to give you Notice as per the employment agreement.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok.
One of my bosses is a hospital doctor, the other one isn't, and is in the house. Am I a key worker, therefore obliged to work? Or can I tell them I will follow the lock down and have my payment anyway?
Expert:  INC Law replied 4 days ago.

You would be a key worker if you are supporting key workers. From what you have described, I do not believe you would be described as a key worker.

As I have answered your original question, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

Your question will not close and I will be happy to answer any follow up questions.

Many thanks,