Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I work in the GIG economy for G$S.I am on a ZERO HOURS

Customer Question

HI.I work in the GIG economy for G$S.I am on a ZERO HOURS CONTRACT.I do 90 per cent of my work in MOJ law courts.The law courts are cutting back because of the virus and may well be closing altogether.I am able to make any claim?
JA: Was the zero hours contract issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No.I simply went online 8 years ago and signed up with G4S on a ZERO HOURS CONTRACT.I have NEVER been issued with anything in writing.Normally at this time of year I work a lot of events with G$S but there will NO events for obvious reasons.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee on a zero hours contact.The normal disciplinary rules apply but if you blot your copybook you just get offered NO WORK.You DO get PAID ANNUAL LEAVE based on the hours you worked in the previous 3 months.You cannot claim sick pay.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Being on a zero houirs contract has worked OK up to now but I think I am about to have no work.Incidentally because I work in law courts I am classed as an essential worker at present.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message, if you have time off work for sickness then you will be entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP) which is currently £94.25 per week. If you are out of work completely you be able to claim employment and support allowance (ESA) from the first day out of work as opposed to eight, which was previously the case ESA is lower than SSP, at £57.90 for under 25s and £73.10 for over 25s. That said you need to check if you are PAYE with G4S. Chancellor Rishi Sunak said on Friday that more guidance will be published shortly, adding: ‘Zero hours covers a variety of situations, but it may well be you are on a PAYE scheme and have a set of regular earnings and it will be covered depending on your particular circumstance.’ Based on this you should check if you are PAYE. If so you might be able to get 80% of your regular income through your employer. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
YES MANY THANKS I AM PAYE WITH G$S AND HAVE BEEB FOR THE THE 8 YEARS I HAVE BEEN WITH THEM.SORRY IT IS G4S.A very well known company.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.
Ok then yes you should get 80% of your regular income if G4S furlough you, ie ask you not to come into work. G4S will have to ask for this money from the government. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.