Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

Voluntary redundancy

Voluntary redundancy

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue and how you want a lawyer to help you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have worked for a company for 6 years and was offered 6 weeks redundancy pay , which I thought being 49 i was entitled to 9 weeks
What would I be entitled to if I went for Voluntary redundancy ?

As you have over two years’ continuous employment, then you are entitled to a Statutory Redundancy Payment (“SPR”) in addition to your notice pay. The calculation for SRP is calculated by the Government’s formula which you can find on the .Gov Website and is based on the Employee’s age, net weekly salary and length of employment at the Effective Date of Dismissal.

In addition to SRP, you are entitled to your Notice Pay under your Contract of Employment. You may either work your full notice period or be paid Payment In Lieu of Notice (“PILON”) net of PAYE Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions, as well as accrued Holiday Pay and any other contractual benefits, such as performance-related bonus.

The employer must follow fair a Redundancy Selection Process before making you Redundant and cannot do so based on the Employee having a Protected Characteristic under the Equality Act, such as Race, Gender, Religion or Belief, Pregnancy and Maternity, Trade Union Activity or being a Whistleblower.

Although Redundancy is a Dismissal for Employment Rights purposes, it is a potentially fair reason for Dismissal and is probably the “cleanest” and least contentious way to terminate an employee’s contract of employment as it is the position that is redundant, not the employee themselves.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
How much voluntary redundancy am I entitled to ?

The calculation for SRP is calculated by the Government’s formula which you can find on the .Gov Website and is based on the Employee’s age, net weekly salary and length of employment at the Effective Date of Dismissal.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Morning Ed , i have discussed the redundancy calculator with my employer and he has said that the government / his solicitor are saying the redundancy and notice allowances are under review . He is also saying he can’t enter the governments 80% scheme ?

Thank you for your reply. While I note your further comments, I cannot advise unless you start a new thread as this is an additional question to the one I have already asked.

Please give me a positive rating in order to close this thread, and then start a new question on the Just Answer Portal.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello, i have discussed the redundancy calculator with my employer and he has said that the government / his solicitor are saying the redundancy and notice allowances are under review . He is also saying he can’t enter the governments 80% scheme ?

I cannot advise directly on that as the scheme is brand new and there is no authority on acceptance. It is also a state welfare benefits matter, not any employment matter which is not my area.