Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

My son in law works for an independent manufacturing

Hi! My son in law works for an independent manufacturing company.
JA: Has your son-in-law discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: It's not really possible to do either as he is afraid of being sacked. There is no Union unfortunately
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Employees
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: According to my son in law they are not a caring company

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What is your specific question please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What can be done about my son in law's workplace when they refuse to close down, in spite of the fact that they manufacture labels which I wouldn't have thought was a must?

How long has he worked there for?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm not sure but I think probably 15 - 17 years

Thank you. Can the 2m social distancing rule be followed at his workplace?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Absolutely not

Ok thanks. There is a specific list of businesses which must close but these which are not included on it can still rem ain open as long as the work cannot be undertaken from home and they adhere to the 2m social distancing rules. These rules can only be ignored if the business is considered essential and designated as such by the Government, which it does not sound like it is in this case.

In the circumstances, the employer should be looking at closing down and relying on the Government Job Retention scheme to pay part of their employees’ wages whilst they are off work, retaining their employment and have them ready to return once the go ahead has been given.

The employees can consider reporting this employer to their local Council which may then potentially look into whether any violation have been incurred and if necessary, take further steps.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes! Thankyou for all your help, I do appreciate it on behalf of my son in law

All the best