How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 865
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I work in a big 4 management consultancy in Dubai, in the

This answer was rated:

I work in a big 4 management consultancy in Dubai, in the Middle East. This firm is part of a global network and is 50% owned by the the same company in the UKI would like to sue the UK firm for defamation and malicious communication - if I resign from the Dubai firm (standard dubai contract) will I still be able to sue the UK firm

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.


I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.


Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.


However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

You may have a cause of action in Defamation against the author of the statement.


You must issue court proceedings within one year of the statement first being published.


In order for a claimant to succeed in a defamation claim, the following conditions must be met:


1. The statement in question must be a false statement of fact;


2. The statement must be negative and derogatory to the extent that it is capable of lowering the subject’s standing in the opinion of right-thinking members of society;


3. The statement in question identifies or refers to the claimant;


4. The statement in question was published to a third party;


5. The statement must be capable of causing the subject serious financial harm if allowed to stand.


There is no cause of action that sounds in damages in English civil law if another person simply lies to you, even if the lies are repeated and sustained over a long period of time. The lies must be tantamount to an attempt to defame or defraud you to the extent that they cause you, or are capable of causing you, financial loss.


I suggest that you instruct specialist reputation management solicitors to send a letter of claim to the author of the statement and have them sign an express written undertaking not to repeat the comments as well as providing you with an express written apology, retraction and correction.

If your employer requires you to sign a Settlement Agreement terminating your contract of employment, this is likely to compromise any claim against the employer of which you were aware at the time of entering into the Settlement Agreement, this will probably compromise any claim for Defamation as well as your Employment Rights Act and Equality Act claims against the employer.


I suggest that you insist on the employer expressly settling your Defamation claim against them in the Settlement Agreement with the obligation to provide a letter containing a full and unequivocal apology, retraction and correction to you and your termination payment reflecting the likely award that you would receive from a court in a Defamation action.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.


Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.


Kind regards



Ed Turner and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi thanks for the message - can you call me ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It’s time dependent so would be good to talk asap