Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I wish to resign whilst on sick leave. Can you advise me of

Hi, I wish to resign whilst on sick leave. Can you advise me of the best proceedure?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not a lawyer, currently my union reo rep
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I'm an employee - teacher. I am with the NEU. Employed full-time on a permenant contract
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so thanks

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Will you be returning to work at all?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, there have been some extremely stress inducing experiences and I wish to leave for my mental health and well being.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry, I was looking for information this morning. I am not ready to make more financial commitment at this time.

Thank you. Resigning whilst on sick leave is no different to resigning at any other time and the main thing you need to do is follow any specific requirements on resignation detailed in your employment contract. So if it means submitting a notice in writing, to a specific person, then that is what you need to do.

It is entirely possible for you to spend the notice period on sick leave if needed, as long as it is backed up by a doctor’s note.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Partially, thank you. How would you advise I word the letter? Should I give resons for leaving? Can I omit these?

You are not legally obliged to give reasons for leaving you can keep it as simple or as detailed as you wish

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

All the best