Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I want to discuss a contract, This is a contract provided by

I want to discuss a contract
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: This is a contract provided by a manager
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I'm described as a 'freelance contractor'
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asked to start work and was later given a contract which includes a restrictive covenant clause (under Tax Obligations). Is this clause enforceable? Or does it come under a ban on employees having multiple jobs under zero hour contract rules?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any possibility of discussion of documents over message? I'm not earning masses so £44 isn't ideally
in my budget.

Thank you. You are not a zero hours worker, you are a contractor, a self-employed person, which is different to a zero hours worker.

The restriction itself is not necessarily that bad – it says you are only restricted from working for a direct competitor, which is not uncommon, and also states that you must seek their consent. This means it is not an automatic restriction and is still subject to potential consent, allowing you to do the work. You can of course negotiate the clause with them now and see if they are willing to be a bit more specific on which companies are excluded, rather than have the genera; ‘competitor’ description only.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - that does help.

All the best