JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I do have a big problem in my life now and I don’t know what

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i do have a big problem in my life now and I don’t know what can I do ?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: High Wycombe
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: So my problem is like that I am currently on the IVA process but because of the virus I’ve got 80% of my sallary now. I’ve got phone bill £400 outstanding to pay and I don’t have any money. What can I do ? Please help
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so please connect me
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

You are not alone with this situation, a lot of people are suffering with bills due to the virus. The main thing to do is not ignore the phone company - tell them you are having trouble paying and ask for a payment holiday. They would be criticised by the court if they sued you for the money. They have to send a debt collection letter first, then a letter before action giving you 30 days to pay, then they issue a small claim - this would take months to resolve. You can ask Step Change to speak to them for you to try and arrange a payment holiday, a repayment plan, to freeze interest, etc. Step Change are free to use and can be reached via their site at http://www.stepchange.org

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps? If you can reply “yes”, or when you have the chance would you mind giving me a positive rating for the answer (the site will then credit me for my time). There should be a rating system at the top of the screen. Any other queries please let me know.

Many thanks,

Jim