Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I keep getting conflicting information on this aspect of

Hi, my name is***** keep getting conflicting information on this aspect of employment. I am contemplating securing a temporary job while I'm on furlough as my employer reduced my hours and I was forced to take two weeks unpaid leave which will further reduce the 80% wages. I need extra income to cover the monthly outgoings.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not yet. I would like to know what my options as an HGV driver are.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Not a member of a union. I'm a full time employee.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: For now I think that's all I would like information on.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ben, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. Ask away.

What do you mean by your 'options as a HGV driver are'? Do you mean whether you can work whilst your are on furlough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read and been told conflicting information so I really don't know what I can and can't do while on furlough.

OK thank you. How long have you worked for your employer and when were you placed on furlough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started working for the company on 29th April 2019 and was furloughed on 28th March 2020.

Thank you. Leave it with me for now, although please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there may be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Please do not reply in the meantime. Many thanks

Many thanks for your patience. The official furlough rules state the following:

If your contract allows, you may undertake other employment while your current employer has placed you on furlough, and this will not affect the grant that they can claim under the scheme. You will need to be able to return to work for the employer that has placed you on furlough if they decide to stop furloughing you, and you must be able to undertake any training they require while on furlough. If you take on new employment, you should ensure you complete the starter checklist form with your new employer correctly.

So you are legally able to take on other work whilst furloughed, without your payments being affected. However, you need to check that there are no restrictions in your contract about it which would prevent that, or at least get your employer’s consent to ignore these if needed.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's much clearer, thank you for your help.

All the best