Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have a 2nd redundancy consultation meeting next week to

Hi,I have a 2nd redundancy consultation meeting next week to discuss alternative roles. At the last meeting they told me to think about a junior role / reduction in salary ( my current role is at a Director level @ 65k per year and been with the company for 19 years)I would like some advice on how to approach the next meet:-Do they have to show me a job description of the junior role?At the second meeting can I ask to see the redundancy package / offer?What other questions should I be answering?Kind Regards,Dane Hopkins

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What are you ideally hoping for, so that I can best advise?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi,Before I knew my role was at risk I was thinking that they might bring me back on a shorter week ( ie 3 day week) at the same level / rate. This would provide me with a reduced income and allow me to look else where for a part time position to make up the difference in salary. However, the letter I have attached demonstrates to me that by reducing the business they have enough staff to proceed. It seems to me they have already pre-judged the situation and therefore isn’t really an opening for me to return to the business.Kind Regards,Dane Hopkins

Thank you. They should give you enough information about the junior role to allow you to make a reasoned decision about it. You should also be given enough about the redundancy package to decide if that is the route you want to pursue,

However, in all honesty, there is no specific information, details or topics that must be discussed by law – it is down to the employer to decide as long as they are undertaking a fair procedure and you are given sufficient information to be well informed about your options and choices.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.Couple of questions:-1/ Did you have any views on the letter I was sent?
2/ In the event of redundancy - is a redundancy offer negotiable?Kind regards, *****

Hi, do you have any specific concerns about the letter?

In terms of negotiating on the redundancy offer, that will only really be possible in the event there is a potential for an unfair dismissal, where the employer may negotiate a settlement with you in return for you not agreeing to claim.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi,I read the letter as if the situation has already been pre-judged. In the letter my employer seems to be saying they have all the staff required for the reduction in business size and therefore it’s hard to see where they would create a position for me. I suppose I’m worried that the consultation meetings are just a formality and there really isn’t a role for me.Kind Regards,Dane Hopkins

Sometimes there won’t be a role and redundancy will be inevitable but you still have the right to propose any possible option and solutions or pick holes in their current proposals, that is why you should still use the consultation meetings to your advantage as much as you can.

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you.

All the best