Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I run a small hair salon. Following the Governments closure

I run a small hair salon . Following the Governments closure notice all staff were furloughed.We are planning to reopen in July (GOVERNMENT PERMITTING) As a consequence of Covid 19 we have requested staff to accept a shift system of working to allow self distancing within the salon. Two have accepted and one part time employee has refused. They have stated they cannot get child cover for any of the shifts and therefore will expect to receive furlough pay until end of October . Are they within their rights to do this. note they only accept their Grandparents and mother to do childcare even though other free services are available.
JA: Have you discussed this with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I am a sole trader , only 3 staff , my lawyer retired and has not been able to pass my problem elsewhere.
JA: Is the relevant person an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Does the person belong to a union?
Customer: employee part time and does not belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not at this stage

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have they worked there for? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok

Are you available for a call, I have tied a couple of times but get no answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please ring 01469 530342 instead

All the best