james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am considering accepting Voluntary Redundancy however my

I am considering accepting Voluntary Redundancy however my current employer would expect me to work up until the end of August, I have the offer of another role but they would only wait the statutory 1 months notice, am I legally obliged to stay on until September just to help out my current employer?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I work as the Payroll Assistant, my manager is the HR Manager, she isn't very approachable
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee, I have worked for this company for just over 3 years, to be honest its been an awful company to work for
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, I may assist.

If the position with current employer does not end until the end of August, then that is the correct period to work until.
If you have holidays you could take, then this may help get around that extra period of time.

Failing that, if nit is that bad working where you are, and the employer won’t allow earlier redundancy, then you could just work your notice and leave to join new firm and forgo redundancy. 3 years service for redundancy would not be a vast amount to loose of on.

if you tell me your age and weekly gross pay I can tell you what the amount would be.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok what if I was to get signed off sick for the duration of the notice period ? My annual salary is £29274 per annum £562.96 a week and I am 50

You could, but would not be able to work for the other company whilst off sick.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so basically just see what they say then if I get offered something else while I’m working out my notice

£2421 would be the amount aged 50, 3 full years service on your wage.

Unfortunately that would be all you can do.

They can insist on you remaining until the end.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you