Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

On 8 of June 020we went on a two-week holiday to Poland .We

On 8 of June 020we went on a two-week holiday to Poland .We returned to the UK on 25 of June.On the same day , we informed the employer that we had to undergo a 14-day quarantine. So we can't cme to work.The employer wrote back to our e-mail that the absence is unauthorised unpaid. So after returning to work on 10 ofJuly 2020 , we will be investigated. My question is: Can employer dismiss us from work in connection with the situation??.
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: We will also add that we have sent the Public Form of the Publicc Passanger Locator to HR.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: We had signed two weeks holiday by the manager
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: After returning from holiday, we must stay at home for 14 days quarantine.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked there for? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
We have been working there for over 3 years with my wife. This question applies to both of us. We obtain two weeks holiday. He was signed by the manager.After entering Uk with holiday we were directed to a 14-day quarantine because from June 8, 2020 quarantine applies.We informed the employer that we cannot come to work because we have to undergo a 14-day quarantine.HR decided that 14 days of quarantine would be treated as unauthorized unpaid absence.And we will also be investigated.We are afraid at the moment that the employer may dismiss us from work.Our question is whether the employer can dismiss us from work due to a 14-day quarantine resulting from a trip to Poland

Many thanks for your patience. The 14-day quarantine, even though a legal requirement at the moment, still has to be approved as absence from work. That is why many people would have been out off from travelling abroad as they would basically have to take 3 weeks of holidays – 1 week for a holiday and then 2 weeks for quarantine. If the quarantine period was not officially approved as absence by the employer, then it will be unauthorised absence from work and can lead to disciplinary action and even dismissal.

The best defence you would have had is if the rules for quarantine were introduced after you had already left the country and you could not have reasonably been expected to be able to pre-arrange this absence before you left. However, if you knew of the quarantine rules before leaving, then there is no real excuse and your best option then is to apologise to the employer, express remorse about your actions and perhaps try and say that the new rules have been quite confusing sometimes and you simply did not appreciate you would have to book the time off officially.

Does this answer your query?