james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I received my salary as a furloughed worker this month a lot

I received my salary as a furloughed worker this month a lot less than last month. My contract with the company ends and of 1st July so they also owed me 83hours in holiday pay plus my last furlough payment. Only after looking at my payslip it shows the same amount totalled to exactly what my payment was last month including my holiday. Last month it was £1445(furlough)this month it’s £1034(furlough plus holiday?) bearing in mind I’m on £11.47 p/hr of a 36.75p/wk contract
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I’ve sent them emails as they’re unable to pick my calls. But does this seem right? I have no lawyer
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I’m an employee who resigned due to constructive dismissal
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I resigned at a time that my husband had been hospitalised and on his return back home I had to be his carer through his recovery as he was unable to function with decreased energy and breathlessness. I also have 4kids that their schools were not able to open according to govt response. I that time I got so much pressure from this work place to return to work that in the end I had to make a decision based ony circumstances to have peace of mind

Is it possible you have not let received your final pay cheque from the employer?

Also, you need to ensure that the employer has not used your holiday time to cover part of the furlough.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What I received is my final pay. Also I was told in writing when I requested everything be put in writing that my furlough would end 30th June and my pay would include 83hrs payable of my 206hrs annually
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I just need some clarity on how to deal with this situation. Can the govt pay less furlough to the company on my behalf? Had the company not been honest and used my furloughed payment to cover my holiday hours, which all doesn’t add up even if that was the case, my holiday pay would have been £700+ so then at what percentage is my furlough payment if I received £1034.

Ok thanks.

It could simply be an accounting error by the company. The good thing is that you have written confirmation from them what would be due.

The government furlough would not have changed during your time. It is changing but the 80% still remains, with the employer making a contribution towards that amount.

The holiday issues was just a suggestion as many employers have started to do this.

You need to contact the employer in writing, email or post chasing them.

If they are not forthcoming, then you can start a claim against them at an employment tribunal for wrongful dismissal, that’s because there would be a breach of contract regarding your pay.

Can I assist further. Here to help if I can.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.