Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Ben could I please send you my redundancy letter and email I

Ben could I please send you my redundancy letter and email I got from my employer for you to check if it's correct Please?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Can you please upload the letter in question

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That was in the body of the email
Just had an email if I will find another job while working my notice period I will need to get in touch and agree to terminate my employment at an earlier date, they would then pay my salary to that date only!!!!?!?!??
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (TLTSMM7)

Thank you. So I have checked the letter and all seems above board in terms of your rights and entitlements. In terms of you getting another job during your notice period, legally you can work elsewhere whilst you are furloughed by this employer but you have to check if there are any contractual restrictions or restrictions in the furlough agreement which state this cannot happen, or that you need their consent. If such restrictions exist, you will be acting in breach of contract if you were to take up other employment. However, if no such restrictions exist, you can simply take up another job during furlough without even telling the employer but be reminded that they can cancel furlough at any time and ask you to return to work and if you have another job, you may not be able to do so.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Ben the only concern I have left is even I'm on furlough during my notice period and instead paying the lump sum my employer decided to pay me monthly till my final day 18.09.20 and then on that day I will get my redundancy pay any holidays left but if the will go under in the meantime?

What they have done is allowed and relatively common. If they go under during your notice period then you are still legally entitled to everything you should have received until the end of your employment and can potentially pursue them or if they have no money left – go through the Redundancy Payment Service which will cover at least some of the money owed.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Ben

You are most welcome