Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have someone who works for 16 hours [4.30 pm to 8.30 am] x

I have someone who works for 16 hours [4.30 pm to 8.30 am] x 2 nights every week but not sure how to calculate his holiday entitlement in hours per annum. The reason for the strange hours is that it is at a residential home. Please can you help?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I am the manager and HR!!
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee. I do not belong to a union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will I be charged for this?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

So they simply work 16h in total every week, these do not vary?

Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
They work 2 x 16 hours each week. This does not vary.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I'm sorry but I can not afford to switch to a live call.

Many thanks for your patience. Don’t worry about the pop-up mentioning a phone call – this is an automatic offer made by the system, giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.

Going back to your query, their holiday entitlement for the year would be 179 hours and 12 minutes. By law they are entitled to 5.6 weeks of holidays a year. If they work 32 days a week then times that by 5.6 gives the answer above.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you Ben. Our normal holiday entitlement is 6.2 weeks of holidays a year. My calculation is 32 hours x 6.2 giving 198.4 hours for the year. You have confirmed this for me. Thank you very much. It does answer my query.

You are most welcome