james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I work in a very stressful role which has gradually built

Hi, I work in a very stressful role which has gradually built over over the last 5 years to the point where it is affecting my health. 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and the work situation is now making it worse.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: i was only recently given access to occupational health who advised being signed off for 6 weeks, which I did. I have been back a couple of weeks and its as bad again.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I am employed full time but we don’t have a union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My manager also went off with stress and is not returning, some of his workload is coming my way now too. They are now recruiting for someone to help

Hello how may I assist

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, I have recently returned to work following a 6 week sick leave due work related stress. I have worked for my employer since 2007 and since taking on a company in the US, 8 hours behind the UK, my workload has gradually increased to the point where it is a no longer workable. I have been working very long hours including evenings and weekends. We went through a merger which has brought even more work along with excess stress. I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s 3 years ago and they have only just referred my o Occupational Health who told me i had to take at least 6 weeks off. My employers have been aware of my situation for a long time and nothing has been done to help. I went back to work a couple of weeks ago but was on annual leave last week. When I have returned this week i am in the same situation but my manager went off sick also with stress and has not returned. I don’t; know what to do, i can’t afford to just leave but i feel i have a case against them for not addressing the situation. Since going off ill they have decided i do need someone to help and have advertised for a senior accountant to help me. I have been working long hours again and I don’t;know which way to turn i have so much to do. I have been awake since 1am worrying and crying.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I prefer not to call, thank you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My PD medication has been increased as it has worsened due to stress, i feel nothing has changed and i can’t continue to work under the same circumstances. It is going to take a while to recruit someone and train them too. I really feel that i have returned too soon but now I don’t know if i can continue.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The new HR person following the merger is very sympathetic and my new manager makes all the right noises but nothing is happening to alleviate the situation. I am an accountant and this week is month end reporting, I have been awake all night worrrying about how i am going to finish reporting when none of it makes sense any more, i am finding it difficult to concentrate as my stress levels are straight back where they were prior to my sick leave.

They are actively recruiting, what do you think they should be doing to assist further, what would you like to see happen to assist your situation.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They have only begun the recruiting process following my sick leave. HR have been telling my original manager they have to do something for a very long time, it is only now that they are acting on it.
When I went off sick I believe i had a breakdown, I couldn’t stop crying and couldn’t face anything, I now feel the same again. Do i have a case for some sort of negligence or other term or negotiate a severance package and leave.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I also suffer with asthma and had an attack recently which was brought on by stress.

If you feel you have a case for discrimination then you can take the employer to a tribunal.

They have to make reasonable adjustments for you at work, but that does not mean they have to make that change overnight. Sometimes changing working conditions do take time.

Did they refer you to Occupational Health?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I was finally referred on the day i went off sick, the lady i spoke to was shocked that she hadn’t been brought into the situation a long time before. I have the report. she said they had to obtain speech to text software because it had got to the stage where I couldn’t use my left hand to type when the stress levels made my left side shake, which is most affected by the PD. This has not been looked into yet, i have been told to look fo fit myself and they will buy it.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She also told me to sign off work for at least 6 weeks, which the doctor agreed with. I am going to make an appointment and go back to the doctor, i can’t carry on like this, i am scared my PD will become so bad that it has a major impact on my life before it would normally. My father in law had PD and it wasn’t nice to watch the deterioration. My consultant told me it would be years before it affected me so badly but i can feel it is going faster than expected.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am also going to contact my PD consultant

Maybe you need to speak with HR and inform them that the company being aware of your condition has not made suitable alterations for you, or have systems in place for you to work. They also took far to long to refer you to Occupational Health.

See what they say. If the answer is mot satisfactory, then you may have a case if you choose to leave for constructive dismissal.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, i was planning to discuss it with HR but i wanted a legal view on my situation first. Thank you for your advice.

Clearly they have had time to make suitable changes but have not.

With your Ill health caused by work, that could certainly be a case for tribunal.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I change it to 5 stars?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I left a review instead, thank you.

Good luck and take care.