Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

The company is making 59 people redundant. I am thinkinking

Hi, the company is making 59 people redundant. I am thinkinking to volunteer. My question is how can I make sure they accept my redundancy?
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, not yet
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am not sure

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Hi there. How long have you worked for this employer please?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Ben, my name is***** that is absolutely fine .
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I worked for this company more than 14 years
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ben Are you still there?

OK thank you for providing this information Judit. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks Ben, I will be waiting... I assume and hope your answer will be in message as I wont be able to take phone calls at work. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. The short answer to your question is that you cannot guarantee that unfortunately. Voluntary redundancy is indeed voluntary, both for you and the employer. That means that you cannot be forced to put yourself forward for it and neither is the employer going to be forced to accept your request, if you made one. All the employer has to ensure is that when deciding on whether to reject your request, they do not do so on discriminatory grounds, such as gender age, race, religion, etc. However, anything else can be used, including financials, such as if you are going to be too expensive to be made redundant.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

And by the way do let me know if you want a refund for the phone call please

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
please I would like a refund. Thank you very much!

Of course, I sill submit a request for that. Thank you and all the best