Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Not sure this is a legal question. I have just been made

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Not sure this is a legal question. I have just been made unemployed and am 55 years of age. I would like to claim unemployment benefit however will have to draw down my pension to pay the bills. If I draw money from my pension, can I claim jobseekers' allowance?
JA: Have you discussed this unemployment issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I was an employee until last week, paying National Insurance. I have 34 years of NI contributions with no breaks.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it thanks.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, there are three kinds of job seekers allowance, the ‘new style’ JSA, contribution-based JSA or income-based JSA
Which types you can get depends on your circumstances. In your circumstances you would not be eligible for the latter two, therefore, new style JSA may be available to you. Drawing down on your pension would not make you ineligible for this as it is not income based. You can see the full list of criteria here: https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

You can claim JSA here: https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/apply-new-style-jsa

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.