Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I work for a SME w global offices, and I'm in London and

Customer Question

Hi - I work for a SME w global offices, and I'm in London and feel like I am being age discriminated against in my sales role. Wonder if possible to discuss>?
JA: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Full-time
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Hi there. I am sorry to learn of the situation you are in. Please can you explain this in some more detail and please also tell me how long you have worked there for

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi BenThanks for your kind guidance - yes I do strategic sales for a translation company, and was hired a bit over a year ago, I have two bosses one London and one in Belgium, and the UK boss is contiually belittling and has made derogatory age and experience related comments since the start. There are other related items as well.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I would like to discuss, but not sure if it is worth you wasting time and me money if it not of value.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. You can briefly describe what you have experienced with this employer in relation to this and then I can explain your rights and options on here. Thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If you believe that you are being treated detrimentally due to your age, which is a protected characteristic under discrimination laws, you have certain rights and options.

Initially, you should be considering raising a formal grievance. You can get a detailed explanation of the grievance process here:

https://www.acas.org.uk/grievance-procedure-step-by-step

In summary, an employee is expected to submit their concerns in writing and send them to their line manager, or whoever is nominated as the person to send grievances to under an official workplace grievance policy.

The complaint should include details of what the grievance is about, any evidence that may exist which is relevant and also what the employee wants their employer to do about this issue.

Once the grievance has been submitted, the employer is expected to arrange a formal grievance hearing, inviting the employee to attend and discuss the nature of their complaint. The meeting is also as an opportunity to ask for further clarification or information, as required.

Following the meeting, the employer will take time to consider all the issues and evidence and then make a decision, communicating it to the employee. If the outcome is not to the complainant’s satisfaction, they can appeal and get a second opinion from a different person assigned by the employer to consider the appeal. Once the appeal is also completed, that brings to an end the formal grievance process and there is no option to escalate it further internally.

If the matter is not resolved, you could either make a claim for age discrimination alone in the Employment Tribunal, or resign and claim constructive dismissal and age discrimination instead.

Either way, before a claim can be made against the employer in the Employment Tribunal, the affected employee would be required to participate in a process known as ‘early conciliation’, which is administered through the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

The purpose of this process is to allow ACAS to mediate between the employee and their employer to agree on an out-of-court settlement in order to avoid the need for legal action in the Employment Tribunal. The employer does not have to engage in these discussions and the process is voluntary for them. If they refuse to participate, or the conciliation is unsuccessful, the employee will be issued with a certificate by ACAS allowing them to make a claim.

However, if a settlement is reached, the employee would officially agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. Other terms can also be included as part of the settlement, such as an agreed reference.

In order to initiate the early conciliation procedure, ACAS must be contacted, either online by filling in the following form (https://tell.acas.org.uk/find-a-solution-to-your-employment-dispute), or by phone on 0300(###) ###-#### They will explain the process and what happens next and get the ball rolling on your behalf.

If the early conciliation process was not successful, ACAS have issued a certificate to confirm that and you still wanted to make a formal claim in the Employment Tribunal, the claim can be initiated via the following link:

https://www.employmenttribunals.service.gov.uk/apply

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

I hope that your query has been answered to your satisfaction. I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind you that if you needed any further clarification with this query, you should not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help. For now, thank you for using our services.