Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I am self employed but work for one company 52 weeks of the

Customer Question

Good morning, i am self employed but work for one company 52 weeks of the year for the last 8 years. i carry out the work they provide me every day personally but we have had a dispute on holiday pay which they have never paid me, i know i am registered self employed but working for the same company day in day out surely i would be classed as staff. What rights of holiday pay do i have considering other self employed people who have been to court have been awarded holiday pay ?
JA: The Expert's answer will cost $10 to $100, depending on the issue type and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit.
Customer: i am self employed but work full time for a window company Monday to Friday 52 weeks of the year would i be now be classed as staff and entitled to holiday pay ? all work given to me every day is fitted by me and they provide a pay slip with the 20% deduction to the revenue every week ? with regards ***** *****
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: i have no contract and no union its a small company of 10 people
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Hi there. Can I just check, have you been able to choose your own hours and days over the course of this employment, or has your employer determined this for you?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the employer issues our work every dyad gives us a time schedule to complete it in
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now; I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

A person’s legal rights in the workplace mainly depend on their employment status, such as whether they are a worker, an employee, an agency worker, self-employed, etc. However, establishing a person’s employment status is not always an easy task and can be a complex task.

It is usually irrelevant what a person is labelled as by their employer because their actual status would depend on the overall employment relationship and how they were treated, rather than how they were referred to.

The main problem is that there is no single official way to determine someone’s status and it is usually done by checking if certain factors are satisfied. These factors have been established through the courts over the years and will still vary on a case-by-case basis. Therefore, whilst they serve as a starting reference point, in reality only a court can provide a definitive answer on someone’s employment status.

Generally, there are three main types of employment status which are relevant in these circumstances: employee, worker and contractor (self-employed). As workers’ and employees’ rights largely overlap, the main issues are in distinguishing whether someone is self-employed or a worker/employee. The following factors are usually taken into account:

1. Personal service – contractors will provide their own services, but may also sub-contract work to others, or bring in outside assistance. Employees only provide their personal services.

2. Mutuality of obligation – contractors are free to accept or turn down work if they want to and the employer is under no obligation to offer them any work. Employees are obliged to accept work offered by their employer who also has a duty to offer work in the first place.

3. Right of control – contractors are likely to be in control of most aspects of the work done. Employees’ activities may be controlled by their employer, such as "what", "how", "where" and "when" work is done.

4. Right of substitution – contractors can sub-contract work, or bring in assistance. Employees, on the other hand, are unlikely to be able to offer a substitute for the work they do.

5. Provision of own equipment – contractors will normally supply all small tools and bring in or hire plant and machinery. Employees may sometimes supply own small tools or equipment but the employer will provide all plant and machinery.

6. Financial risk – contractors will quote on a job-by-job basis and can make more profit by more efficient working, or may incur loss if they overrun on time. Employees are paid whatever work is done, bear little risk and poor performance generally only affects appraisals or additional payments like bonus/commission.

7. Part and parcel of the organisation – contractors may become "a fixture" in that their work brings them to the company regularly, but acquire no additional responsibilities or privileges as a result. Employees are capable of being promoted or manage other staff. They also benefit from being in a pension scheme and get other benefits/perks usually given to employees.

The above are the most common factors used when determining a person’s employment status and should hopefully provide a reasonable indication of what the status in this case is. They can be useful in negotiations with the employer. However, as mentioned, in the end only a court can decide what the true employment status is.

HMRC also has an online tool which you can use to try and determine your status for tax purposes – this is still not a definitive answer but can be useful in giving you an idea of what the status will likely be:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-employment-status-for-tax

Only if it is pretty clear that you are an employee should you consider challenging the employer further, such as by making a claim for the missing holidays in the Employment Tribunal. However, you can only go back 2 years in a claim so you will miss out on 6 years’ worth of holidays in any event.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

I hope that your query has been answered to your satisfaction. I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind you that if you needed any further clarification with this query, you should not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help. For now, thank you for using our services.