Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

Can a recruitment agency insist I get paid through them for

can a recruitment agency insist I get paid through them for twelve weeks rather than a hiring school
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no not yet. only had discussion ith
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: no I am in a cover supervisor freelance position with a well known education recruitment agency. They say this is the arrangement they have with the school but surely being forced to work for an agency for twelve weeks cant be right can it . if thats the case can I change agency
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I'm assuming the school is ok with this but I am not

Hello I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

I would be greatly appreciative if you could use the 5 stars to rate my advice once I have provided it you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
happy to rate advise.

Thank you for your enquiry. Firstly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The reason will be that the agency will likely have a deal with the school where they get x amount of your salary as a payment (don't worry that won't be deducted from your end). The reason it will be going through the agency is to ensure that they get the payments they are due and the school don't attempt to cut out the middle man by bypassing their payment straight to you. Neither of these situations would affect you salary in anyway, it is just a set up the agency and the school will have with the agency to ensure that all agreements are honoured. Secondly, you could swap agency however, I wouldn't advise it on 2 points. Firstly, there is not need as I explained nothing that changes or takes place will have an effect on your agreement. Secondly, it is likely that when signing up with the agency you have inadvertently agreed to this in their terms and conditions and if you were to change agency and take the job there is a potential (although to definitive) that you could be in breach of contract. Unless there is an issue that rears its head moving forward I wouldn't see that there would be anything to worry about. However, should something happen I would be more than happy to provide further advice in the future.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be recognised for my response by the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I agree with all of above but wanted permanent contract with school during uncertain times.I don't therefore see any advantage at the mo in accepting the offer and competitive agency offering much more so as school still offering both supply and permanent options think should perhaps consider.