How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 71321
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I recently worked for Marcam Services Ltd ( a month ago ),

Customer Question

Hello, I recently worked for Marcam Services Ltd ( a month ago ), as I only did one day work for them - they did not send me the contract to sign it. Till now I am arguing with them about my day pay, they still do not want to pay me. Have prove of om my messages about the pay rate and location of my job as well the Timesheet signed from the original place I was worked. How can I make them to return money they own me? Thank you
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I discussed with the owner of the company I worked for and he is very rude and told me not going to pay
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I worked as an ltd company, been gave them my company details
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: These guys are very dirty and disgusted
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

How much are you owed?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
they owe me 8 hrs of 15.5£ an hour rate. 124£
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what can I do in this case?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

If money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The debtor will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
May I have the format of "Reminder letter' and "Letter before action"? Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

I’m afraid we do not have templates, you should be able to search for these online as there should be templates available freely

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
okay, thank you. May I ask one more question, Is it a problem if I did not sign a contract with these guys?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Legally, no, but practically it may make it more difficult to show what you were due. But the lack of written or signed contract does not mean you have no rights to take it further

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
are these forms have to be sent by paper or can do it online as well?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
by e-mail was mean
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Have you been through ACAS yet?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Oh sorry ignore that as I forgot you were a ltd company and ACAS is just for employees.

You can make the claim online if needed, it was mentioned in point 3 in my answer above.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay, got it. Thank you very much
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best