How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 71376
Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have upcoming question about the disciplinary case I am

Customer Question

I have upcoming question about the disciplinary case I am going to have. There a lick of information and colleagues consider me as if I am gone already. Thus the procedure will be not objective. How can I act in this circumstances?
Thank you.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
25 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Thank you. Have you raised any of the issues with the employer yet?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No, should I?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am waiting for your response.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Thank you. It depends on how serious these issues are in your view. There are a few ways to do it.

You can informally approach them with your concerns

You can raise a formal grievance and ideally the employer should suspend the disciplinary until they investigate these issues

You can raise these at the disciplinary hearing itself

You can then also lodge an appeal, assuming you disagree with the outcome.

Finally, if this results I dismissal, you will get the chance to consider an unfair dismissal claim in the Employment Tribunal

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I would like to raise formal grievance. Would you advise how to act.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 17 days ago.

Hello, thank you for your further queries, I will be happy to answer these. You can get a detailed explanation of the grievance process here:

In summary, an employee is expected to submit their concerns in writing and send them to their line manager, or whoever is nominated as the person to send grievances to under an official workplace grievance policy.

The complaint should include details of what the grievance is about, any evidence that may exist which is relevant and also what the employee wants their employer to do about this issue.

Once the grievance has been submitted, the employer is expected to arrange a formal grievance hearing, inviting the employee to attend and discuss the nature of their complaint. The meeting is also as an opportunity to ask for further clarification or information, as required.

Following the meeting, the employer will take time to consider all the issues and evidence and then make a decision, communicating it to the employee. If the outcome is not to the complainant’s satisfaction, they can appeal and get a second opinion from a different person assigned by the employer to consider the appeal. Once the appeal is also completed, that brings to an end the formal grievance process and there is no option to escalate it further internally.