How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 1643
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I joined the Union and one month later I was informed some

This answer was rated:

I joined the Union and one month later I was informed some of us would be made redundant. My union refused to represent me and send someone down to sit in the meeting with me. Their reasoning was because I had just joined the union and I must of known even though I sent them record that the first time I found out was one month after. I was made redundant and afterwards I found out because I had a mental disability I could of done something . Do I have a case to sue the union

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Your trade union advisers may owe you a duty of care in contract and negligence to act in your best interests and provide services to a standard of competence reasonably expected from a professional in their area.

If their actions or inaction have caused you financial loss, you may have a professional negligence claim against them for damages for your losses caused as a result of their conduct, plus interest on damages and legal costs.

I suggest you instruct specialist Professional Negligence Solicitors. They will take your instructions and provide you with a draft Form of Authority to sign that will be addressed to your former union requiring them to provide your solicitors with a copy of their file of papers.

From there, your Professional Negligence Solicitors will advise you on the merits of your claim and whether you have above 50% prospects of success.

If you have a Home and Contents Insurance Policy with Legal Expenses Cover, it may be worth notifying your insurers and requesting that your legal fees in this claim be paid and/or that they appoint a law firm on their panel of insurers to conduct your claim.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you require any clarification of my answer to your question and I shall be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating to conclude this matter.

Kind regards


Ed Turner and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you