How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Laywer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 2126
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

I was helping a company out with their it systems and was

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I was helping a company out with their it systems and was promised 1% equity
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have left the company UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have left the company now and I am being accused of stealing their data and also going to start my own business which is similar all of these is false I didn’t steal any data nor did I start a similar business
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want all these to stop as one of the partners who was a friend is harassing me
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I haven’t stolen data, I do not have a shareholders agreement in which I invested £5000 and my professional time to the business for 6 months..I only signed a NDA As attached..I do not intend to start such a business and only left as I do not have any faith in the leadership and asked for my money back..Now they are accusing me of data theft
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
See screenshot of the accusations one of the partners sent to my wife
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Saying I was the sysadmin who viewed a file on a shared folder ...I am not the only one with access to this folder and he only wants to sign a non compete document...
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This is now causing great stress for my family..The only problem they have with me is that I left abruptly and wanted my money back as they pleaded with me to leave my money in the business
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
As these partner was a friend, I told him I had not intention to start such a business and I just wanted to be left alone and he is still says I stole data which I never did
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Please I’ll be awaiting a response
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I will need a cease and desist order
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 9 days ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. Welcome, my name is***** am very sorry you are experiencing this and I hope I can help you today. I would advise that you instruct a solicitor in your area to represent you and write the company a letter setting out your case and asking them to stop contacting you. If the company takes you to court you will be able to defend your case.

The solicitor will be able to weigh all the evidence before them and help you build a strong case. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here: You will be able to search by specialism and also town or postcode to find one near you. You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: You can find a legal aid solicitor by using this link: Legal aid is free assistance to people who cannot afford to pay legal fees such as legal advice and proceedings. You could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) ( For more information please visit: CAB’s are accessible in different areas in the country providing free legal advice to individuals who cannot afford this. You can contact them by phone to book a face to face appointment. They may also be able to provide phone appointments. Moreover, you might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending/contacting a LawWorks Clinic. A probono lawyer is a free lawyer. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website:

You can also find other means of getting help with legal fees using this link: I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in dealing with this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have further questions regarding this matter. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. Best wishes.

Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 9 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!