SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Just a quick one. I was made redundant last year and they

Good morning. Just a quick one. I was made redundant last year and they deducted a large some out to cover job seeker benefits claimed, I read that this is standard practise, however I did not claim any job seeker benifits or any other type of benifits available. Can this therefore be claimed back?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Mid wales.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t taken any. The redundancy happened last year and I’m now self employed. But it was something I thought about the last few days after a discussion with friends refreshed my memory of my earlier scenario.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I am aware of. I just wondered if that deduction could be claimed back or not.

Good afternoon, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor in England and Wales, and reviewing your question now for you. I should revert to you without delay.

Thank you for your patience. Yes you can claim this sum back from your employer as you essentially have been penalised for not having sought jobseekers or any other benefits. They ought to pay you the sum as part of your redundancy package. You must have the confidence to claim it if you have another job, if not and there is potential you will claim the benefits then they will argue that you cannot have it back as there is potential you will claim. All the best.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It was automatically deducted, and the redundancy package had to be claimed through the gov.uk website. The company I was employed by no longer exists as it went into liquidation. Does this mean I can still claim the deduction back? I’m now struggling to obtain a copy of my p60 from anywhere too as a result of this liquidation.

Hi, thank you for your message, you must contact the DWP with regards ***** ***** redundancy pay and you must contact the HMRC with regards ***** ***** P60.

SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience: Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Excellent thank you