JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I started paying into my company pension in February this

Customer Question

Hi I started paying into my company pension in February this year my contributions for last three months have been £450 but my pension account only shows £189 are they not paying money in
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not yet
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee not in a union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

You are covered under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here which means you have a right to expect a service (from the pension provider) carried out with reasonable care and skill. Furthermore, the pension itself should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response. Their complaints policy will be available on their website.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Pensions Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the provider which would hopefully result in a reinstatement of funds to reflect your contributions. They can order the provider to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint here : https://www.pensions-ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint

Based on the circumstances, assuming the provider does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the provider. If the Ombudsman did not find in your favour, therefore, you then have the option of suing the provider for breach of your consumer rights and you have up to 6 years to bring a claim to the court (the limitation period is 6 years from your date of loss, to when you need to issue a claim).

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim