james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I need to understand if an English national can have a work

Customer Question

Hi, i need to understand if an English national can have a work contract in the UK but live abroad for few months
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not talked to any lawyer about it yet
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: no step i am gathering information to know what are my legal rights and limitations
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my contract in in the UK, i am a british national but can work remotely so considering to move for few months to a european country. I have two passports, one is English and second from European country
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have English and Spanish passport. I live in the UK where i work. Because i can work remotely currently due to covid, i want to understand if i can move for few months to Spain or other European country while working remotely with my UK contract
I am not sure if the 183 days away from the UK are applied to nationals also
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Continue please
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

As a U.K. citizen holding a U.K. passport, yes, if you have a job in the U.K. and are able to work remotely, and your employer is happy for you to do so, then there is nothing to stop you working remotely in another country.

You would of course, need to make sure that the other country will allow you to carry out such work, especially now as the U.K. is no longer an EU member state.

As such, you may be required to have a work permit or visa to be able to work in the other country as your employer and job is based in the U.K. No doubt as a U.K. employee your taxes would be paid in the UK, however, once you are in another country for so long, you could be considered resident in that country for tax purposes. If that happens you would need to speak to an accountant or tax adviser as there is most likely a double taxation scheme that can be used to avoid paying tax twice, once in the UK where your job is and once in the country where you are living.

Hello, I am just following up on your enquiry to see if I can assist further. Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi James,Thanks a lot for your answer. Very useful.My employee is happy about it and i understand and am totally ok that i would remain paying my taxes in the UK.Then there is not limitation in terms of days that i can work abroad and remain employed by a company in the UK and the 183 days are not applied?
Also, would i need to keep having a uk address?Thanks in advance,
Claudia

The number of days would not affect the U.K. but as explained may make the person liable for tax in the other country. However that is where the double taxation treaty comes into play so that a person does not pay the tax twice.

It is up to them if they keep a property address in the U.K.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks James. All clear but i don't understand when you said ' It is up to them if they keep a property address in the U.K' ? who do you mean by them?

Yes, very simply they do not need to keep and address in the U.K. if they move to another country, but they can If they wish to.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks a lot James. I think all clear by now. I will come back to you if more questions

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.