Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

A friend of mine has an adult daughter (in her 30's) who

A friend of mine has an adult daughter (in her 30's) who volunteered for the role of Manager at her local charity shop. However-she has now been accused of taking cash from the petty cash box at her place-of-work-and ordered to report to an investigative committee accompanied by 'her union representative' .She has no such rep-as her role is voluntary-SO-what options are open to her?. Self-evidently the amounts of cash involved are minimal-BUT her levels of stress are very high....What next-please? Peter.
JA: Was the accusation discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: As the senior volunteer at the charity shop-she has-clearly-no executive above her in 'the pecking-order' Thus she is feeling both alone + very exposed in this case. I have advised her to appoint a lawyer ASAP-however the 'hearing' is only 3 days away-and she is not sufficiently organised to undertake the appointment of a legal rep-as great is her fear. To be more poetic than precise 'The lady is a rabbit caught in the headlights' Peter.
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: NO! As stated this is a small charity shop for which the lady volunteered to work-as her primary occupation was closed to her-due to Covid Legislation. She maintains that she 'wanted to help in some way-as her chosen career was closed to her'. Peter
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That is all I can tell you-except that her financial circumstances preclude her being able to pay for advice. P
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok-will wait for the response from your solicitor. P

What is she ideally hoping to achieve in your circumstances? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you today. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 days ago.

The lady is -understandably-concerned that she will be obliged to appear in front of an 'investigative committee' to justify her position. She denies any malpractice or poor administration-however is uncomfortable about appearing without legal representation. As I originally stated-she is the grown-up daughter of a close friend of mine whose name is***** have asked Mr Tee to 'take over the reins' from this point on-wards-as the lady in question is both his daughter-and a tenant in his house. I am aware that the sums of money involved here may seem derisory in the greater scheme of things-However Mr Tee + his family are strong adherents to the Christian Religion-and Raymond himself is a Trustee of his local parish church. Hardly the traditional backdrop to criminality-one might have thought...! It is their dismay at being thought other than solid members of The Church-which has prompted me to seek your help. Thank You -Peter N ******* (MCPS)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I contact your website to ask for help with a legal problem....+ all I get is a video featuring a nuclear family-searching for parking-during their visit to a zoological amenity.....WHY??? P.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now. First of all I have no idea what video you are referring to but that is not something from our site, so it would likely be another source.

Going back to your query, as a volunteer, her rights will be very limited and there is no protection against unfair dismissal or discrimination. That means the organisation that employs her is able to dismiss her and even treat her unfairly, without her being able to legally challenge them. they could take action even if she has done nothing wrong or can prove she is innocent. They do not have to provide proof of her guilt before they make a decision. As she is not an employee, she does not have the basic rights provided for by law and will be left exposed if the organisation decides to take any action against her.

Any arguments she has will simply be of an ethical nature and it is the legal protection which she requires to be able to challenge them or take it further, which sadly she will not have.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank You-Mr Jones- for you clear (if disappointing!) answer-which I have just forwarded for the attention of my friend + his family. Should they wish to consult you further-they will doubtless be in touch directly. Yours Peter

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this then please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be glad to help. All the best