Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

I work 13 hour shifts as a manager, and most of my time is

i work 13 hour shifts as a manager, and most of my time is spent in front of a computer. For the last six months I have been using a chair that has no padding or adjustable height mecahanism. My back and neck are very painful, do I have a case to make a claim for injuries suffered?
JA: Have you discussed the injury with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, we were told that we would be reciebing proper office chairs but they have never materialised
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I was a contractor, but have now gone PAYE, employed by an agency working for G4S
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

Thank you for your patience. I am sorry to hear about this. Firstly, you would need to contact your HR in witing with relevant letters from your doctor stating your health issue and request that your employer makes adjustments to help you do your job. You will be making this request under the Equality Act 2010. Your employer is required to make 'reasonable adjustments'. Reasonable adjustments can be considered to include: changes to policies, working practices or physical layouts, or providing extra equipment or support, which would cover changing your chair.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Then there is a danger that they will release me from my contract and I will be out of a job

Then this could be considered as an unfair dismissal. If they dismiss you solely based on the fact that you requested a reasonable adjustment - they may end up with a claim against them. I hope this helps. Feel free please to ask me any clarification questions in case anything is unclear.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
unfortunately I have only been here since October and I am on a temporary contract so I don't think I would be protected.

Unfortunately, I agree with you that you would have to be with a company for at least 2 years to claim unfair dismissal.