james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Please. Is there a set time limit that an employee who works

Customer Question

Good morning, yes please.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Is there a set time limit that an employee who works in healthcare should be receiving the upcoming rota in advance?
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: employees
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: private healthcare providers
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Unfortunately from the employees perspective there is no legal minimum notice period to issue or change rotas in the workplace.

There may be a clause in the employment contract or any workplace policies that may apply.

However, your employer has an implied duty of trust and confidence so they should provide you with ‘reasonable’ notice.

There is no definition of what is reasonable.

So if you believe that the notice you have been given is too short in the circumstances and unreasonable you can bring that to your employer’s attention and either refuse to do the shift, which may lead to disciplinary action. or do the shift but  make it clear that you would expect longer notice in the future.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you James,
Yes, for a while our employees are under stress as our working week is commenced on Sunday, yet we haven’t received upcoming rota by Friday. Especially now when children are off from schools due to school break, it affects our people as employees and parents due to lack of control over our work/home balance

That is understandable, the employees need to raise the matter with HR explaining the issue, if any are union members ask the union to intervene.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you James. I am really close to join the union as lately there are way too many issues that we experience here and would need a helping hand to put management and HR to work on

Then joining a union may well you and other employees.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for you input James! Have a nice day!

Your very welcome, good luck,

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.