UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I received an agreement between a LTD business and myself as

I received an agreement between a LTD business and myself as an 'independent contractor'. When I signed the agreement, the commencement date was blank. This was August 2020. I've just received a a contract signed by both parties, and the commencement date has been amended, to April 2020. This was before I even heard of, or contacted the company. I am trying to get out of paying the £650 training fee, because I feel the 'training' was misrepresented to me, and not delivered in the way it was initially described, and I no longer wish to work for this company. Am I able to get out of paying this fee, 1. because the contract has been amended and the commencement date makes no sense, 2. because the contract has been breached and they have not fulfilled their obligations either ?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: There is no HR within the company, the manager is the woman I am having trouble with and is saying I am legally needing to pay this money, when I don't believe I am
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: It is supposedly an independent contractor role, however the rules of the contract are very one sided, and I have not even begun working for them
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so

I am a solicitor.

I would respond to your queries as follows:

1) yes, you may raise this as a ground for challenging the contract validity;

2) yes, you may raise this as a ground and also claim that you were misrepresented into entering into the contract.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I feel bullied into paying this training fee as I am being spoken to in an intimidating and demeaning tone, I don't believe I am legally obliged to pay this fee due to the fact they have broken the contract themselves
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Would I be able to upload the contact I was sent, and the contract they amended yesterday for you to look through?

You should refuse to pay the fee on the basis that we have just discussed.

This is an online Q&A forum, I am afraid I am not able to look at the agreement but you may refuse to pay the fee and inform them that you are treating the agreement as void on the grounds we have discussed.

All the best