Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I have an employment tribunal case for dismissal,

Customer Question

Good evening
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have an employment tribunal case for dismissal, discrimination, breach of contract. I don't feel that I completed the et1 properly.
JA: Was this discrimination issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I brought it up at the stage 3 grievance meeting
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I was on a fixed term employee contract but was dismissed at the end of 2020. Now doing temp work through an Agency. I am a member of Unison but the representative at work said because I was a fixed term employee, the union would not represent me.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I initially joined the organization through an Agency then worked continuously and after 2 years, changed to a fixed term employee under a 2 year fixed term contract. I continued working after the 2 years elapsed by way of the IT dept renewing my access to the systems. Then after about 2 years and 5 months, the role I was doing was advertised and awarded to an external male candidate. I was told that my contract would come to an end. I raised a grievance. There have been many variations in statements among the managers. This caused me a lot of anxiety and stress- I had to seek help from my GP. After the stage 1 grievance, they initially said there was a 12 month role available then changed their mind and said only a 3 month role was available. I was pressured into applying for the 3 month role. I was not successful at the interview but they wanted me to sign the contract for the 3 month role which I didn't. There was no plan or discussion about what would happen to me after 3 months. both the 12 month and 3 month roles were not my initial specialties. Also, the job title in my employment contract was different to the job I was carrying out. The managers never changed my contract of employment and insist that I agreed to work in a different role. Sorry it is quite long.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I worked at the organization for 2 years from Jan 2007 to Dec 2008 as a contractor through an Agency. I was not aware of my employee rights at the time. Then I went back to the organization for about 6 weeks in March 2015 then went back from Aug 2015 to Dec 2017 and worked via an Agency then applied for a fixed term role, was successful and worked from Jan 2018 for 2 years until Jan 2020. In Jan 2020, the fixed term contract was not ended, I was under the impression it had been extended and I continued working. Then in Apr 2020, I was told the role I had been doing would be advertised. (I spoke to 3 different managers about this and asked why this was being done to me but I was unheard on all occasions- One of the managers said it was a managerial decision to advertise certain roles and not others).They decided to advertise it externally even though there were many suitable internal candidates. The role was given to an external male candidate. Now, the job I was interviewed for under the fixed term contract somehow disappeared in the staff structure. Then I found out it had been given to another male member of staff but under a different job title. The requirements of the job are the same except that the organization had changed IT systems. I had also requested to go on a training course but was turned down twice. The first reason given was due to the length of my fixed term contract then they changed their mind and said it was because they couldn't guarantee that I would have enough clients to complete the program and a supervisor, and the program requires access to clients. I had arranged to have a supervisor and can always get access clients. Where do I stand? Is there enough to make a claim? My employment was terminated in Nov last year.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 17 days ago.

Having reviewed your question I believe this is outside my area of expertise. I will therefore opt out for someone more suitable to respond. Please do not respond to this thread as it will delay the reassignent process.

Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 17 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Alina-Moderator
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello, Based on the information on your website, I was under the understanding that a solicitor would answer the question yesterday. How long would it take for you to find a suitable solicitor? Otherwise I may have to ask for a refund.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If I don't receive an appropriate response or expert advice by 7/6/21, I exercise my rights for a full refund.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 16 days ago.
Good morning thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about your circumstances, when did you submit the et1? What do you think you did not complete on the et1 properly?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I request a full refund for what I paid due to the delay in answering my question. Thank you.

You can obtain a refund by contacting customer services, we wish you all the best.