Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Does an annual pay increase mean a change in terms &

Customer Question

does an annual pay increase mean a change in terms & condition of an employment contract?
JA: Was the employment contract issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, but for the first time, I been ask to sign the recent annual pay award as acceptance of amendment to T&C of employment?
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: Yes with employees and some services are contracted out such as IT
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: As yet, not that I can think of
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Is the pay rise guaranteed under contract?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No, it is determined by an annual review
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. It is not a given that a pay increase will result in a change o your terms and conditions, but it can happen, specifically when the pay increase is not guaranteed. The reason for this is that the increase is issued at the employer’s discretion and by using that discretion they can make the rise conditional on these new terms. So they can say that because you are not guaranteed a pay rise, they have still decided to issue you with one but it is only issued on the condition that these new terms come with it at the same time. You are free to reject these new terms, but that could also mean that the pay rise disappears s well unless the employer agrees to issue it anyway.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks for that but there has been no mention of any other t&c apart from acceptance of a pay rise. Does this mean that the pay rise constitute the new terms and conditions ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have notice my account has been charge with £44 for a suggested phone call request. However, I been notified by yourself you were unable to respond to a call, so I should expect a refund of this amount?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am just an independent user on this site, in the same way as you are, which means that unfortunately I have no involvement in the billing side of things. If you need to query anything to do with billing, charges or membership, you may be able to take certain actions by going to your account on this site. Alternatively, please contact the site’s customer service team directly. You can find their contact details by following this link:

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us

Hopefully, they will resolve any issues you have to your satisfaction.

Going back to your query, if no other changes to your T&Cs have been communicated or included in any new contract you are asked to sign to confirm the pay rise, you can indeed assume that this will be the only change