Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

If an employer has informed an employee that the apoitment

Customer Question

if an employer has informed an employee that the apoitment is going to be terminated is alright for the employee to tender a resignation before the termination
JA: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Both the manager and employee relation officer made the recommedation for termination
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I have a unionist but there is no representative my place of work therfore they can only come for hearing only on apply
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It is my final probationary hearing. I have been put on special holiday with pay since 12/05/21 when the first meeting was heard.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Why does the employer want to terminate the contract?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with the following general response, which will hopefully still answer your query. If an employer has advised an employee that their employment will terminate, the employee can still tender their resignation but whether the employment officially terminates by dismissal or resignation will depend on the notice periods required by either party.

To give you a couple of practical examples:

If the notice to terminate required by the employer is 1 month and that is the same notice required by the employee, then as long as the employer has given notice first, the employee’s notice will always end after the employer’s has, which means that the official reason would be dismissal as that is the notice period that will end first.

If the notice period required by the employer is 1 month but the one by the employee is 1 week, the employer can resign once they have been issued with notice by the employer and their employment will terminate in a week, making the official reason resignation. For that to work, they will of course have to ensure that the notice they have to give will finish before the date on which the employer’s notice would have come to an end.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It was the end of my probation the employer said I have not passed the period so the next thing is to terminate the appointment according to the recommendation they recived and their pllicy. Thanks
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The anove is text is yhe background of the story.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Urgent reply please
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

thank you, ***** ***** see my response above dated 7 June? What further do you wish to know about this please?