MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Can my employer ask for proof my husband is in hospital,

Customer Question

Can my employer ask for proof my husband is in hospital
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Manager
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Yes and fully employed
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How long will it be before a response please
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. An employer can ask for proof that your husband was in hospital however you are not legally obliged to provide this.  Your husbands medical conditions are a confidential matter which he may not want to disclose with your employer.

It is also worth mentioning that you are entitled to time off due to emergency leave and that you are allowed a reasonable amount of time off for this – but the amount of time depends on the situation.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thankyou

Glad to be off assistance, we wish you all the best going forwards.