Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have a question regarding company relocation repayment,

Customer Question

I have a question regarding company relocation repayment
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The company I worked for is in US, I am now in UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just need some legal advice whether I must pay back the money
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 5 days ago.

Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 4 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assiting yo today. Is the company registered in the UK?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi!
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks for getting in touch. The company is registered in US
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I was working and living in US 2019 - 1010
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
sorry, 2019 - 2020

Thank you for the further information,  can you clarify what your question relates too?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I worked for a US company between 2019 - 2020, upon signing up, there was relocation package included
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I only saw the clause that I need to pay back the relocation if I quit the job within one year. So I quit the job just after one year, they are now asking me pay back half of the relocation, which is nearly $40000
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
the offer letter I signed only says repayment of the relocation if leaving within one year.

Thanks for the confirmation, as the company is US based I will have to opt out to allow a US based expert to pick this up and advise.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But it was written in the attached document that I need to pay half if leaving after 1 year
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
oh ok
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 4 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

If the offer letter says repayment only applies if you leave within 1 year then you do not need to repay if you stayed working for them more than a year. I trust this assists

Let me know if you have follow up queries

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi thanks for your reply.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I didn't make it clear. So in the document they sent me when I signed the contract, it was mentioned half the relocation will be required to pay back if leave after one year but before two year. So I am now back in UK, and have no such amount of money to pay them.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
my question is: if I choose not to pay them, what would be the possible consequence? Would they sue me from the US?
They could choose to bring legal action in the U.K. yes and get a judgement against you here which would be enforced here. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Would they pursue this? it's only $40000 we are talking about. I imagine the legal cost for them to take legal action overseas would be a lot.
I can’t possibly say, they can claim their legal costs if they Win so that’s not necessarily a barrier. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Understood. Thanks.
No problem take care