Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

I would like to terminate my employment during probation

Hi,I would like to terminate my employment during probation period. Can employer deduct or ask me to pay for unfinished work? I am a structural engineer.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Does your contract state anything about this?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have a contract and Employment Handbook with Section 2 stating: Salaries (which may include any payment due to an employee on termination of their employment) are subject to any deductions which are required by law (where appropriate social security contributions and ITIS) or as agreed with the employee or as a result of any sums due or becoming due to the Company including: any cost to the Company of an employee failing to carry out work correctly, resulting in either the employee or another employee re-doing their work within the period of the guarantee and the related costs of the other employee or the employee completing the work which may include a deduction in respect of another employee working overtime out of the normal working hours to complete the work;

Will you be serving your notice period?

Hi here, as discussed all you have to do is ensure that you follow the contract and give the employer the required notice under it. You have to be available for work during that notice and be prepared to do the work expected of you under contract. As long as you do so, the employer cannot realistically (or legally) hold you responsible for the fact that the project you were working on has not been completed before you left. That is their responsibility and not something they can hold you liable for or charge you for.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.