james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Iam being made redundant, I have been with the company 13

Iam being made redundant, I have been with the company 13 years.iam being offered statutory redundancy, where would I find whether my company should pay me contractual redundancy? Is it in the staff handbook as it is not in my contract
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I have discussed this my Hr manager
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok.awaiting your response
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Prefer if we type as I don't want to pay £44 to call

If the employer offers redundancy over and above legal statutory redundancy, then you will find that in your employment contract.

If there is nothing extra in the contract, then you are simply entitled to statutory redundancy only.

There is no requirement on an employer to offer employees any more than the basic statutory redundancy.

Sorry to say, your length of service makes no difference to whether you receive any extra.

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

The attached link will take you to the government site, where you can calculate your statutory redundancy.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What about if it is referred to in the staff handbook

A contract can direct an employee the a company had book for details of such matter yes.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My contract says nothing about redundancy however it refers to the handbook at certain points in my contract abut like disciplinary, grievance is not in my contract but my contract refers me to the staff handbook

That is very common. The contract can give the basics and direct to the handbook. The hand book can give the details.

If there is noting regarding redundancy in the contract, then this is a very good indication that you will only receive statutory redundancy pay.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, many thanks for all your advice

Your very welcome.
Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not for now, thanks

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.