MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

I am coming back to London after being 10 days on holiday in

I am coming back to London after being 10 days on holiday in Greece to visit my elderly parents and I have to quarantine for 10 days. I suppose to be back to work on Monday 14th June, and I texted my manager to let her know that as Greece did not go to green list I have to quarantine for 10 days but I will take the 5th day release test so I can be back to work on Thursday. My manager said "No....the holiday system doesn’t add on quarantine time or days you have to filter that into your holiday taken". I would like to know my rights as an employee and if I am obligated to include the quarantine in my holiday period. I don't mind to quarantine unpaid but I paid around £600 for travel costs and covid19 tests to be able to see my family and I want to understand how that works. Thank you.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, she asked me to call her and I want to know my rights before I speak to her
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I work at Heal's in Tottenham Court Rd and I am afull time sales assistant
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Good morning thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. This include quarantining at home for 10 days upon return to the UK.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Matthew for your answer. Can you please make it more clear for me as my English is not so good. What means this include quarantining at home for 10 days upon return to the UK? Will I have in the near future to come back earlier from holiday and spend some of my holiday on quarantine or that when my holiday period ends is additional 10 days for quarantining unpaid. Can they force me to come back earlier from holidays and spend part of my holiday as a quarantine?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (3M24753)

The current guidance states that:

On arrival in England from Greece you must:

quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days

take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Dear *****, I did not ask about the government guidelines regarding my quarantine upon my arrival to the UK. So, no unfortunately the answer I got does not clear my concern regarding my request.

Apologies if you could specify further I will be happy to continue to assist.

Does your question relate to whether the employer has to pay you whilst you are quarantining, or whether this in included in your annual leave?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Whether my annual leave has to include my quarantine.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
My manager said: the holiday system doesn’t add on quarantine time or days you have to filter that into your holiday taken

Thank you it is unlikely that quarantine would be included in your annual leave you would need to check the company’s leave policy.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks a lot Matthew! That's all I wanted to know. Take care

Glad to be off assistance, I wish you all the best.