MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

I am considering accepting a voluntary redundancy offer at

Customer Question

I am considering accepting a voluntary redundancy offer at my current workplace, I have a long history of high performance ratings with the company, however early in my career 2013 I was issued with a written warning due to a mistake I made. As this warning expired in 2014, can this still be disclosed within an employer reference?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No not as yet.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I’m an employee, no I don’t belong to a union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been made aware by a potential employer that enquiries would be made about disciplinary.
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 16 days ago.

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. In practice the majority of references these days are factual: which include your name dates of employment, job role and duties. The primary reason for factual references is because it is unlikely that any prospective employer can draw a negative inference about the employee.

You can always request to see a copy of any reference before this is sent to a potential employer.

Your employer has a legal duty to make sure that any reference is accurate and not misleading to your prospective employer.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I understand that, but if the disciplinary warning is now expired can it still be disclosed?

Yes, this can still be disclosed as this is an accurate record of your disciplinary history, however in practice I think this is unlikely that it would be disclosed.

Do you have any follow up questions?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No thank tou

Thank you for the confirmation, if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us. We wish you all the best going forwards.