MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

I just moved to Austria but am full-time employed by a UK

Hi, I just moved to Austria but am full-time employed by a UK company. I am in the process of moving my taxes here, while staying employed in the UK. Once I start paying taxes in Austria, will the labour laws applying to me still be the British ones?

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Do you have a copy of your contract of employment so that I can review the same?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Not sure my current contract is relevant, as it's still the one I signed while I was residing in the UK. Is this something that can be decided in a new contract?

If the terms of the contract have changed you should have received an updated copy of the contract or at least an addendum to confirm the changes.

Within a contract of employment it should provide what jurisdiction the contract falls within or at least the governing law which the terms of the contract are agreed under.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The contract hasn't yet changed, so I guess I'm anticipating somewhat by having this conversation. But what I understand is that from a British law perspective it's not necessarily the case that, by paying taxes in Austria, I come under Austrian labour law.

Yes that is correct, it is likely that the contract of employment will be governed by England and Wales as the company is located in the U.K.

Numerous people are working for U.K. companies remotely abroad however where they pay their taxes does not affect the legislation which governs their employment.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Perfect, that's what I wanted to know. Thank you!

Glad to be off assistance, we wish you all the best going forwards.