Experience:  Qualified Employment Solicitor
29905560

Can an employer make me sign a contract which states I am

Customer Question

Can an employer make me sign a contract which states I am giving up my rights which I have under UK Employment law?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: no
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Im an employee, my employer is abroad. i dont belong to a union
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't have a contract in English, only in another language, but I work in the UK.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Please explain the situation in some more detail. What exactly are you being asked to sign and why?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I was wondering if you have had a chance to consider my query above please? I will need your response before I provide an accurate answer to your situation. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Without the requested information, I can only provide you with general information, which hopefully will still be useful to you. A contract cannot overrule rights which you get by law. There are some rights which can be overruled or amended, such as you can opt out of the 48 hour weekly working limit, but there are many rights which are rigid and cannot be removed, no matter what the contract states. That would be the case with the majority of employment rights you have under UK law so if the employer is trying to make you give them up, it simply means the contract would not be valid and your rights will still remain.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.