Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I’ve recently failed a police vetting as I have liked and

Customer Question

I’ve recently failed a police vetting as I have liked and shared quotes from a Nordic brotherhood page which sells clothes I like etc and they have said I have be linked to Nordic extremist. It’s totally innocent what can I do?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Middlesbrough, uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing I’ve just received my letter saying that I failed but I’ve also been suspended from my street warden position and I’ve done nothing wrong
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry hit the wrong button
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
This was an application for a PCSO role. I am presently a street warden and cleared the level of vetting and DBS clearance required for my present role. However the police vetting have wrote to my employer advising them I failed the vetting. For which ,y employed immediately suspended me under investigation. I have grown up with adhd and struggled through my teens making a few bad decisions and a few cautions. Some of which I don’t remember as it is part of my adhd I have long term memory issues. They said I did disclose all my cautions but I did the 2 I could remember. In my late teens I started to sort myself out and did voluntary work then became skilled as a mental health worker in a hospital high security unit. As a street warden I’m highly regarded by my peers and those I work with I. The community and the police I work with. Having adhd I can’t lie, I’m totally up front and honest and tell things how they are. My manager has supported ,y application as a PCSO . I’m now looking at a potential loss of a job, unemployment all because of an ambition to progress into the police. How can this be fair. I live alone have a mortgage on my home I’m proud I’ve got where I am but now I’m under immense stress and anxiety being in this position. ADHD worsens this as I analyze every possibility and outcome from all angles and can’t end that cycle until I have an answer. Where do I stand in this situation?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Correction -They said I didny disclose all my cautions but I did the 2 I could remember.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will continue to wait.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

So to clarify you had previously been given a police caution for sharing this content when you were in your teens and failed to disclose it during your application?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
HrlpSo I’ve had a meeting with my manager today so I can now put it clearly. My police cautions as a teenager were nothing to do with content extremism it was general teenager noisy on the streets drinking alcohol in a park general things but I didn’t remember them all so one point of failure was for not mentioning all the cautions. Part of my adult adhd is not remembering in long distance memory. The other point of failure on the vetting was because I was linked to the EDL in my teens as I had been out with a group of friends with their friends upto local Hills in the summer and once in town for a drink some of them were part of the EDL group my understanding was they promoted equality stood up for human rights other aspects I did not know about the negative side once I research them but I found out what the group was about and instantly cut my contacts with them. Part of my ADHD is to thoroughly research anything that interests me. I found out my surname was linked to Vikings and Norway. I also researched the history of Norway I have bought many products sweatshirts and T-shirts that have positive emblems on a purely fashion. My mum has also bought these as xmas gifts and she would not buy them if the promoted extremist groups. One group on Facebook called Nordic brotherhood does general malaise online from work which I shared two years ago and nothing to do with being a member of Nordic extremism or anything purely innocent. I reshared it recently due to a work colleague‘s comment at work yet again nothing to do with being part of a Nordic group. I have no memberships or attachments to anything of Nordic extremism but because of my my interest in getting knowledge about different subjects and researching then they have been said I am part of these groups when I am not.So I am presently a community support officer Street, Warden. When I was employed my contract was for a high level DBS. I have passed this. The council decided last year that we were taken for the powers linked with the police like arresting so therefore they applied for police vetting for all the street wardens. As I have applied to be a PCSO and upto now have been successful my vetting has come through faster than that of my team. As I have failed the PCSO vetted they wrote to my employer to say that they had failed me on my new street warden vetting as well because of the new responsibilities. I was initially suspended but temporary moved to the environment team today whilst they investigate and decide whether I’ll be dismissed.
I I have chance to appeal the vetting process which I am trying to put some good statements together and get affidavits from people I work in the community employers in my past job in mental health. I am now in a situation where I may not have a job at all let alone ruin my chances of being in the police which was my eventual aim. I’ll because of circumstantial events in my teens. However everyone who works with me has worked with me my managers and work colleagues members of the police I work with all know I’m not that person at the vetting says I am. Where do I stand? Do you think a good appeal with all the affidavits may have any sway in this decision?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I darent even research Nordic and any websites I’ve put based from or used for my general knowledge to find out if they’re linked to Nordic extremism now as that will look bad again. I’ve told and dad not to on my behalf just in case as well.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 8 days ago.

The issue is that you failed the vetting because you failed to disclose all your cautions I understand your condition but a failure to disclose all your cautions will mean you fail vetting and therefore there is no point appealing that, just persuade your current job to keep you on and then from there you can apply for the Police next year when you reveal all your cautions, I trust this assists

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can I ask one last thing, can I apply for something that will give this history so I’m not in the same situation next time apply? Like a record the police hold on me?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your help.
You could apply for an advanced DBS check this should show all cautions. I trust this assists